Learn the language and culture of the world's second or third most-spoken language.
Come and learn the language spoken by 400 million of the world's population and have fun while you are at it! This course is intended for those with no previous knowledge of Spanish.
It will focus on helping you to communicate in Spanish in everyday situations, through written exercises, role-playing and audiovisual material.
It will be useful for those who intend to visit Spain or Latin America as well as those who want to learn the language and culture of the Hispanic world.
Chapters 1 - 4 will be covered in Nuevo Ven 1, Libro del Alumno.
This course will include:
- greetings and farewells, courtesies and introductions
- asking and providing personal information
- talking about food and menus - ordering food and drinks in a restaurant or bar
asking for information
- requesting and giving directions
- grammar points will include declensions of regular and irregular verbs
- aspects of Hispanic culture.
On completion of the course learners will be able to:
- introduce him/herself to a Spanish speaker and exchange greetings
- pronounce Spanish accurately
- construct a simple sentence using the present tense
- understand simple written signs, notices, menus etc
- ask questions about travel routes and timetables
- ask directions and understand the response
- conjugate a range of regular and irregular verbs in the present tense
- demonstrate an understanding of the Spanish culture.
Who should attend?
This course is designed for students with no previous knowledge of Spanish. It is also the starting point for anybody wishing to learn the language and the culture of the fascinating Hispanic world for travel, work or personal reasons.
Francisca Castro ... [et al.], Nuevo ven. 1, Libro de alumno , Madrid: Edelsa, 2003
Francisca Castro ... [et al.], Nuevo ven. 1, Workbook, Madrid: Edelsa, 2008
'Borrow rather than buy' text book option
Course text books will be made available at the first class to borrow for the duration of this Spanish Level 1 course.